Friday, April 11, 2014

Madkins Honored with Water Tower Dedication

Oxford's iconic blue water tower was dedicated to a man who dedicated his life to providing clean water to his fellow citizens.

Oxford water tower was dedicated to John Stevenson Madkins on Wednesday, April 9


City employee John Stevenson Madkins Jr. was honored for his 48 years of service to the town with a ceremony dedicating the Oxford water tower in his name. The man, who passed away fall of 2013, started his job with the public works department as an 18-year-old, and worked full time until the age of 58.

"He loved his job," said his wife, Ruby. "He talked about it every day when he came home."

At the dedication ceremony, Mayor Pat Patterson shared the resolution passed to dedicate the tower as well as a personal favorite story about Madkins.

"I was taking care of my 90-year-old mother who was a brilliant lady but the sun was setting as it does for all of us, and I went over to her house one day and the kitchen sink was all clogged up," he said. "I started plunging it and it wasn't working and she was getting madder and madder and finally she said, 'Why don't you just go on, Ive already called John Madkins.'"

The tower, known as one of Oxford's most photogenic icons, now features a large stone monument which dedicates the structure to Madkins, a man who colleges claim was always more than a co-worker.

"Most of all, John was my friend, and he will be missed," said Water Department Superintendent Chad McLarty. "John was my mentor and taught me most of what I know about this job that I love today."


No comments:

Post a Comment