Friday, April 11, 2014

Reaction to "Why the Web Still Matters for Writing"

In agreement with the author, I believe the pie graph featured is rather misleading. To my knowledge, most productive adults and students frequently use the Internet, whether by computer or phone. Granted, people are using their phones for more than just basic communication. This has led to an explosion in app use, which is why gaming, for example, is so popular. When it comes to writing and the deliverance of news, however, the Internet is not lacking. You cannot find breaking news on the Flappy Bird app, so the third of the time spent on gaming is not a threat to web browsing. Indeed, many news organizations have their own apps for mobile devices, but using a browser proves to be an easy way to find information from multiple news outlets. Personally, I use web browsers (Safari on my phone and Firefox on my computer) daily. I must be a boring individual. I do not frequent the Youtube app, and there are no gaming apps to be found on my phone. There are plenty of people like me, and we are the ones who are keeping actual web browsers alive and well. Assuming that the Internet is outdated by means of web browsers is inaccurate and is not a true reflection of web users' behaviors.

No comments:

Post a Comment